As the Indianapolis City-County Council begins to draw new Council maps, the head of Indiana’s Common Cause has some advice.
The Council held the first of nine public hearings Saturday morning at Perry Meridian High School. No maps were unveiled because the purpose of the forums was to gather public input on what they should look like.
Julia Vaughn of Common Cause said she understood that no new maps would be available this early in the process, she did say there should be more public hearings once the maps are done. She also said there should be a multi-partisan citizen’s commission drawing the maps instead of elected officials. She also recommended that software be made available so citizens can draw their own versions of the maps.
You can hear Vaughn in the Leon-Tailored Audio above. It runs for about nine minutes.
The times and places for the remaining public hearings on redistricting are below.
- Lawrence Township: Tuesday, January 25, 2022, 5:30 PM-7:30 PM CAFÉ, 8902 East 38th Street 46226 Spanish & Creole interpretation onsite
- Franklin Township: Friday, January 28, 2022, 5:30 PM- 7:30 PM Franklin Township Civic League, 8822 Southeastern Ave. 46239 Spanish & Punjabi interpretation onsite
- Washington Township: Monday, January 31, 2022, 5:30-7:30 PM Washington Township Community & Education Center 8550 Woodfield Crossing Boulevard 46240 Spanish interpretation onsite
- Decatur Township: Tuesday, February 1, 2022, 5:30-7:30 PM Decatur Township School for Excellence Community Room 5106 S High School Road 46221 Spanish interpretation onsite
- Wayne Township: Wednesday, February 2, 2022, 5:30-7:30 PM Northwest Middle School, 5525 W. 34th St. 46224 Spanish interpretation onsite
- Pike Township: Thursday, February 3, 2022, 5:30 PM-7:30 PM Fay Biccard Glick Neighborhood Center Gymnasium 2990 W 71st Street 46268 Spanish and Creole interpretation onsite
- Warren Township: Monday, February 7, 2022, 5:30-7:30 PM Moorhead Community Resource Center 8400 E 10th Street 46219 Spanish & Creole interpretation onsite
- Center Township: Tuesday, February 8, 5:30-7:30 PM Crispus Attucks High School, 1140 Doctor M.L.K. Jr Street 46202 Spanish & ASL interpretation onsite