The most likely murder victim in Indianapolis this year is a black male, age 31 on the northeast side. He will also be more likely killed on Sunday morning after midnight by a gunshot
That’s according to data compiled by IMPD for all the criminal homicides since January 1.
So far this year, the city of Indianapolis is averaging a murder every 2.3 days and is on track for a second record year of murders..
Criminal homicide statistics provided by IMPD show 147 murders between January 1 and December 10.
Of the 147 murder victims, local adult criminal histories were found for 88 (60%) of the victims. These 38 individuals accounted for 386 adult felony arrests. That number was 66% in June.
Where criminal histories were found:
- 33 (38%) had a previous weapons arrest
- 53 (60%) had a previous drug arrest
- 43 (49%) had a previous crimes against persons arrest.
Of the 75 suspects where a name was known, prior local adult criminal histories were found for 41 (55%) of the suspects. These 41 people accounted for 174 adult felony arrests:
- 17 (41%) had a previous weapons arrest
- 22 (54%) had a previous drug arrest
- 28 (68%) had a previous crimes against persons arrest
There have been nine juvenile murder victims so far this year and eight suspects under the age of 18. One of the suspects was involved in a triple murder.
The racial relationship between victims and their suspects was as follows…
- Black victim – Black assailant = 45
- Black victim – White assailant = 1
- Black victim – Hispanic assailant = 0
- Black victim – Unknown assailant = 61
- White victim – White assailant = 7
- White victim – Black assailant = 12
- White victim – Hispanic assailant = 3
- White victim – Unknown assailant = 24
- Hispanic victim – Hispanic assailant = 5
- Hispanic victim – Black assailant = 0
- Hispanic victim – White assailant = 2
- Hispanic victim – Unknown assailant = 2
- Asian victim – Asian assailant = 0
- Asian victim – Black assailant = 0
- Asian victim – Unknown assailant – 1
- Unknown victim – Unknown assailant = 0
Ten (7%) of the 147 murders were known to have been motivated by drugs.
Blacks are about 25% of Indy’s population and have been 66% of the murder victims, down from 72% earlier this year.
In addition, the data also showed
- 32% of the murders occurred in the northeast district.
- The age of the average murder victim was 33.
- The age of the average suspect was 27.
- In 71% of the murders, the relationship between the victim and suspect was unknown.
- 130 of the 147 victims were killed by gunshots.
- In 93 of the 147 murders, the motive was unknown.
- 40% of the murders occurred between September and November.
- Sunday was the day a murder was most likely to occur.
- Murders were most likely to occur between midnight and 1 a.m. or 10 p.m. – 11 p.m.
The city and IMPD announced Monday a new effort to engage the community and add more police beats to mitigate the rising tide in 2018.